Sunday, July 01, 2007

104 - Redheart Server


Here is wanted to explore a bowl with a more organic shape. Readheart is a beautiful wood and the red and black grain pattern is quite nice. Redheart is native to Central America with the botanical name Erythroxylon spp. It's bright colors will fade with time, but some of my examples are years old and still look new. All of the my spoons can be used in the kitchen or displayed. If they used they will age, but an application of mineral oil will make them new again. That leads to how I make spoons. I hand carve the spoons using a shaving horse, and various carving knives. I finish spoons in various ways. For a more rustic and natural appearance I oil the spoon and call it done. Other woods are scraped, and sometime I have to sand. Irregardless each spoon ends up unique and a one of a kind.

Great spoon - eh. I thought I snapped a pic, but I will need to go down to the art gallery and take one this weel before it sells (if it sells)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home